After Christmas Calm?

Sunday, January 2, 2011 |
This was my 7th Christmas as a Mummy.  Each year I (hope) I get a little bit more organised, things are a bit less last minute and there is more time to enjoy doing things with the family, like my Mum is in this picture.
My Mum teaching Jemma 'cats cradle' with string 
I also hope there is less time getting in a panic.  Although this year I had an epiphany.  I realized there are only really a couple of hours on Christmas Eve, after the kids are in bed, when all the presents are wrapped, the carrots have been left out for Rudolf and turkey is waiting patiently in the fridge to be cooked that I can sit down with my glass of whatever and relax without 16 different lists of things to do wafting in and out of my consciousness.  Often we watch the brilliant 1950's Alistair Simms version of A Christmas Carol and I congratulate myself on getting everything done on time without having a nervous breakdown.

However by 7.00am on Christmas Morning, less than 12 hours after feeling so smug that everything was in order the house looks like a tornado has gone through it.  By the time Christmas Day is over I'm already wanting to clear out half of our possessions and start spring cleaning, there really is no rest for the wicked.  Next all the Christmas decorations come down and before you know it it's time to gear up for school again, I need to go shopping for packed lunch goodies and remember library books again.

Making chocolate truffles treats
Trying out the new sledge from Santa
Luckily there are things like this to make us smile again and forget all the 'stuff' that needs doing.....after all it'll wait.
And the traditional Christmas tiger!!

I hope your house doesn't look like mine does right now and that you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  Here's hoping the New Year brings everything you wish for, just think a whole year of memories just waiting to be made.  Enjoy the last remnants of the Holidays.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home